FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Best of California Awards recognize diversity, anti-human trafficking and other technology-enabled initiatives
Awards also acknowledged 32 Californians for outstanding IT service and support.
Sacramento, Calif. – August 11, 2016 – The Center for Digital Government presented the Best of California Awards today during the California Technology Forum.
The Best of California Awards recognize state and local government organizations for innovative technology initiatives.
This year’s Best of California Awards include:
- City of Los Angeles’ Diversity in Technology Initiatives. Mayor Eric Garcetti and the LA Technology Council are collaborating on a program to improve gender diversity among the city’s technology staff. Initiatives include outreach to local universities and support for civic hackathons and female internships. As a result, the city’s programming staff is now 42 percent female. The initiative also encourages qualified female contractors to compete for city contracts and supports women-owned startups through The Elevate Project of Los Angeles.
- Alameda County’s MAP1193 Mobile Tool to Stop Human Trafficking. The county’s new app is specifically designed to mobilize citizens to become community anti-human trafficking advocates. Citizens use the app to report compliance with Senate Bill 1193, which requires certain organizations to display a “Stop Human Trafficking” poster in full view of the public and its employees.
- The California Employment Development Department’s Unemployment Insurance Online (UI Online). This Web-based tool and mobile app provides citizens an online process for managing UI claims 24/7. In its first year UI Online served more than 500,000 citizens, 90 percent of whom rated their experience using the service as “excellent” or “good.”
“The Best of California awards recognize the people behind new applications and innovations that are improving the lives of citizens all over the state,” said Todd Sander, executive director of the Center for Digital Government. “The Center is delighted to honor public servants who are helping move government forward with new technology.”
Best of California Award winners are selected by a panel of judges based on a number of criteria, including collaboration among agencies, innovative use of technology, economic benefits and improving public services and business processes. See the complete story here.
The Best of California Awards also honor people dedicated to California public service. This year, 32 people were selected to receive awards for Outstanding IT Service and Support.
The full list of 2016 Best of California Awards includes:
Demonstrated Excellence in Project Management
- Crystal Taylor, Assistant Director, California Project Management Office, California Department of Technology
Best Application Serving the Public
- Unemployment Insurance Online, California Employment Development Department
- DebtWatch Open Data Website, California State Treasurer
- Foster Health Link, Ventura County
Best Application Serving an Agency’s Business Needs
- OC Expeditor Procurement and Contract Management Application, Orange County
Best IT Collaboration Among Organizations
- Families Engaging in New Interventions and Community Services, Santa Clara County
- Alameda County Permit Portal
Best Mobile/Wireless Project
- MAP1193 Mobile Tool to Stop Human Trafficking, Alameda County
- California Lottery Mobile Application
Most Innovative Use of Social Media/Citizen Engagement
- Video-Rich Social Media, City of Long Beach
Most Innovative IT Workforce Initiative
- California Information Technology Leadership Academy (ITLA)
- Diversity in Technology Initiatives, City of Los Angeles
Best Data Analytics / Business Intelligence Project
- Customer Service Dashboards, California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Human Resources Data Analytics/Business Intelligence Project, County of Los Angeles
ABOUT THE CENTER FOR DIGITAL GOVERNMENT
The Center for Digital Government is a national research and advisory institute focused on technology policy and best practices in state and local government. The Center provides public- and private-sector leaders with decision support and actionable insight to help drive 21st-century government. The Center is a division of e.Republic, the nation’s only media and research company focused exclusively on state and local government and education.
Senior Marketing Director
e.Republic | Center for Digital Government